One of the proudest achievements of the EHC STEAM Partnership Program is its annual Teacher Immersion Experience. Teachers from partner schools have the opportunity each year to apply to spend some quality instructional development time experiencing STEAM in a real world application. This learning experience is completely funded by the EHC Foundation.
In 2015, a team of 11 teachers traveled to the University of Georgia’s Costa Rica campus and took part in intensive, hands-on activities that focused on biology, environmental science, agriculture, forestry, entomology, botany, and hydrology. During their week long program, teachers visited the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, studied area streams using macroinvertebrates to predict water quality, participated in a carbon offset program along the Bell Bird Biological Corridor, explored the sustainable practices of the University’s organic farm, discussed the impact of ecotourism on Costa Rica’s economy and learned about the wonders of insect biodiversity, behavior and classification.
The experience empowered teachers with new resources, lessons, and first-hand knowledge to share with their classes, as well as other educators, allowing area students to have a greater understanding of various academic concepts.
The following are lessons developed by teachers as a result of their participating in this experience.
- EHC Lesson: Carbon Offset – Amy Maxwell/Peachtree Ridge High School
- Lesson Plan: Carbon Offset- Gayl Struletz/Riverside Elementary School
- Lesson Plan: Renewable Energy – Gayl Struletz – Riverside Elementary School
- Leson Plan: What is Happening to the Rainforest – Gayl Struletz/Riverside Elementary School
- Lesson Plan: Chemistry of Chocolate – Gayl Struletz/Riverside Elementary School
- Lesson Plan: What is Happening to the Birds of Georgia – Gayl Struletz/Riverside Elementary School
- EHC Conservation Lesson Plan – Stacey Mendel/Dunwoody Elementary School
- Graves Carbon Offset Project – Mark Callachan/Graves Elementary School
- Lesson Plan Template Carbon Offset – Carrie Settles/Brookwood High School and Sara Thornton/Crews Middle School
- Lesson Plan Template Food Waste – Carrie Settles/Brookwood High School and Sara Thornton/Crews Middle School
- Carbon Offset Lesson – Courtney Carver/Martin Technology Academy
- Compost STEM Plan – Susan Grayson/Cooper Elementary School
- EHC Lesson Plan 4th grade AKS and 5th grade AKS 1 Leach – Jean Lean/Bethesda Elementary School
- Lesson Plan for EHC – Jean Lean/Bethesda Elementary School
- Local Effective Microorganisms Recipe – Jean Lean/Bethesda Elementary School