Issac Adair made his mark in the Gwinnett County community during the years of 1824 – 1844.
One of the oldest houses in the county, the Isaac Adair House was built circa 1827 near the intersection of what is now Pike Street and Hurricane Shoals Road. It was disassembled and moved to Chandler Road starting in 1984. Gwinnett County agreed to move and preserve the historic structure when it bought the land for the Sugarloaf Parkway Extension construction project in 2006.
The home is well constructed and represents a building style found in the southern states from 1780-1820. The architectural style is considered to be both Federal (Adam) and Georgian. Some of the characteristics of these colonial houses include: two-story box – two rooms deep, with doors and windows in strict symmetry, paneled front door, with glass, windows (9/9), and a side gable roof and small entry porch. Rectangular light and sidelights display a beautiful doorway. The construction of this home used hand-planed boards and mortise and tenon joints.
The restoration of the Isaac Adair House both by the Hughes family and Gwinnett County exemplifies the message of historic preservation.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.